Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Prompt 2 - A Time to Be Born

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:  A time to be born . . . Ecclesiastes 3: 1-2

*****

mama holding me
My Mother Holding Me

A half century ago on a Friday morning in late September, I was born at 9:44 AM at the Whittaker Memorial Hospital in Newport News, Virginia.  The hospital, which served African-Americans during a time when they were denied care at other medical facilities, no longer exists, but the building still stands at 1003 28th Street in Newport News, VA.  

At the time of my birth my father was a soldier in the United States Army and my mother was living with her parents because Daddy was away on military duty.  The first hands that held me were Dr. Samuel K. Ashby (1913-1999), who delivered me into the world.  I probably had some hair when I was born, but do not have any records regarding how much I weighed at birth.

dru at 3-months old
Dru at 3-months old

Besides my two parents, ancestors alive at the time of my birth included three grandparents and two great-grandparents. 

Mama’s Family
My arrival into the world created a new generational leaf on several branches of my mother’s family tree which made Mama a first-time mother; her parents Minor Elwood Thornton (1913-1979) and Emma Johnson Thornton (1922-2011), first-time grandparents; and her brother and sister an “uncle” and an “aunt” for the first time.  My birth also made Mama’s maternal grandmother Bell Bullock Johnson (1890-1982) a first-time great grandmother and Mama’s paternal grandfather Minor Thornton (1893-1966) a first-time great grandfather.  Siblings of my maternal grandparents also rose to the status of great-aunt and great-uncle when I was born a half century ago.

Daddy’s Family

For Daddy, my arrival into the world made him a first-time father.  But for his father, Matthew “Mack” Pair (1899-1987), I would just be another little leaf of many leaves of grandchildren already on the Pair family tree.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment